Monday, November 10, 2014

Maternity Workout Gear

As I’ve researched and posted about before, one of the best ways to get motivated to workout when pregnant is to find the right wardrobe. Let’s take a moment to identify what is not the right wardrobe:



This was me earlier this week. Typical T-shirt and running shorts. Luckily I was just at home doing a DVD in my basement! Looking at this photo now, it in no way inspires me to conduct another sweat session. And maybe this is a good thing, but there’s also no way this stretched out Tee is going to fit postpartum.

So, this weekend I set out to find some clothes more fitting to be seen in public. When shopping for clothes, I usually know my favorite online store or shop to visit. But when I sat down at my computer Sunday, I realized I had NO idea where to look for maternity fitness gear.

I stared at a blank browser.

Ergo,I did what any sensible modern chick would do: I Googled.

Here’s what I found under “Maternity Workout Clothes”:
  • Motherhood
  • Old Navy
  • Gap
  • A pea in the Pod
  • Destination Maternity
  • For Two Fitness
After looking at each site, however, I found some issues: 
  • Most places wanted me to spend at least $70 for a pair of yoga pants. One. Pair. I’m kind of a frugal person, so this seems like a lot for one pair of pants that are only going to be worn sporadically for the next 13 weeks!
  • Some of these websites confused the term “activewear” with “loungewear.” Not the same thing. Some tops just did not look like they were designed for an actual workout. 
  • Even though some of these sites had some cute stuff, there really was not a lot to choose from. 
All in all, I was kind of disappointed by the results.  So, I chose my best option: Old Navy. I got a few pieces (all for under the cost of one pair of yoga pants on other sites, I might add) that should do me for a little while. Here’s what I picked out: 


Just a few, simple pieces. But at least I know they will fit when I put them on each morning! I can't say the same for my T-shirt and stretched out shorts. As soon as these new clothes arrive, I'll be putting the shorts away. And, depending on how these turn out, I may be back for more! 

Oh, and as one last side note, while the For Two Fitness website was a little out of my budget, they did have a really cute tank that I would love to purchase for my next pregnancy: 


Fun, right? 

Ok, time to wrap this up and head to bed. It's now been snowing. YES. SNOWING. For the past two hours. I think my treadmill in the basement will be a little more welcoming than a cold gym in the morning. Hello, winter... 

1 comment:

  1. Truly I love this maternity work out gear. Thanks for sharing photos. My sister will also need these special workout clothes. So I would like to gift “For Two Fitness” clothes to her on her baby shower. Thanks for inspirations!

    ReplyDelete