Monday, March 12, 2012

Lean Lasagna

Ooey, gooey, cheesy pasta is my favorite. Pair it with some deliciously buttery garlic bread and I am set. I can't be the only one out there that loves Italian food, right? So there's gotta be some healthy options, right? Right! I found this recipe at SELF.com, one of my favorite websites! I get this magazine every month and there are endless ideas for living a healthy lifestyle.

Anyway, this lasagna is made with layers of ground turkey meat, whole grain noodles, and lots of nutrient-rich spinach. (Plus cheese - can't skip the cheese!) You can find the complete recipe here.

First cook up 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (Side note: turns out West Point grocery stores do not carry whole wheat noodles. I need to look into this!) and lay 3 on the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.
Now add a layer of fat-free ricotta cheese mixed with chopped spinach.
Next add a layer of the turkey and tomato sauce mixture, topped with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Continue with two more layers just like this. Then pop the whole thing in the oven at 375 for 20-25 minutes until the cheese gets bubbly. 
 Let cool for 5 minutes, cut, and enjoy! 
Forgive me - These pictures really are not the best. But just to get an idea, this whole piece is only 310 calories! And much healthier than regular lasagna!

No comments:

Post a Comment